The Asian Canadian Writers Workshop welcomes your submission to the 2020 Jim-Wong Chu Emerging Writers Award for genre: Fiction
JIM WONG-CHU EMERGING WRITERS AWARD
Created in 1999 as the Emerging Writers Award and renamed in 2017 to the Jim Wong-Chu Emerging Writers Award in honour of Asian Canadian writing pioneer and mentor Jim Wong-Chu. The award continues Jim’s lifelong passion to discover and encourage writers to develop quality manuscripts, and promote their work to established publishing houses.
The first recipient of the award was Rita Wong for Monkeypuzzle, a book of poetry. In 2001, Madeleine Thien received the award for her short story collection, Simple Recipes, which attracted a two-book deal from publisher McClelland & Stewart.
The Jury is composed of members from the literary and academic community. The winning submission will be awarded a cash prize.
Founded in 1996 The Asian Canadian Writers’ Workshop (ACWW) has developed and nurtured generations of Asian Canadian writers, a historically marginalized group in Canada whose stories were rarely documented. Today, ACWW operates Ricepaper Magazine serving a global audience and local community building initiative programs such as LiterASIAN: A Festival of Asian Canadian Writing in Vancouver and Toronto, Canada.
Writers are invited to submit an excerpt of an original manuscript for consideration for the award. Shortlisted entrants will be further invited to submit their full manuscripts. Details and deadlines below.
- Must be Canadian with Pacific Rim Asian heritage.
- Must not have been previously published a book-length manuscript in traditional or digital format (inc. theatre plays, cinematic screenplays, poetry, etc)
- Must not have been a previous applicant to this award.
- Submission must be of Fiction Genre and postmarked by August 31st, 2020.
- The Winner will be announced during LiterASIAN 2021
- Please submit only an excerpt from the manuscript (maximum of 25 pages)
1) Complete and mail award application along with fee of $40 payable to Asian Canadian Writers Workshop (download application here)
2) Send your application form and literary piece as a digital copy to email@example.com
3) Please send payment to: http://paypal.me/jwc2020
Or personal cheque to:
Asian Canadian Writers’ Workshop
P.O. Box 74174
Centre Point Mall PO
4) If shortlisted, applicants will be invited to send a full-manuscript in January 2021 for adjudication of the winner.
For queries and media please contact firstname.lastname@example.org